Hi

Does anyone know where to get a fret scale ruler in the UK from

and which is the best and typical scale to use.

Thanks for any help

BUG

Views: 1501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice bit of kit! Like it
What saw thickness do you use
Looking at fret wire .032 looks too wide?
I will measure mine later to check it
As most fret wire base is 0.019

The fret wire I use  has got a 0.019" tang.

The saw has a blade almost exactly the right thickness, it's a 'Gentleman's saw' made by Crown hand tools of Sheffield.

I think I bought mine from David Dyke Luthiers Supplies

Measured my saw its 0.57mm or 0.020 inch
With digital micrometer
Does that sound about right?

I would think that saw is ok.The barbs on the fretwire tang should hold it in place 

Thanks Mike the Mansion Polish one I did is better apart from the positioning is out on one!! dam

Thanks for the help

I just copy the epiphone guitar I have  for the fret position and scale length.

Thanks Brendan i did tghis on my early ones but its tricky to be dead on

What worked for me was a razor saw to pre-cut slot

then cut again half way with normal fret saw and a decent fret scale. seems to do the trick

How's this looking? Narrow Banjo frets... long martin scale

when I set the plate down abit this should be spot on

I think you're getting there - those frets look pretty neat.  Just stick with whatever saw works for you and try to stick to the old adage of 'measure twice, cut once'. It doesn't guarantee success but it improves your odds. I always measure from the nut to the fret, as opposed to fret-to-fret, and remove the ruler between marking each fret. That way, if I've introduced some bizarre ruler positioning error, it only affects one fret. In theory :-\

That looks good

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Taffy Evans May 5. 6 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->