Hi

Does anyone know where to get a fret scale ruler in the UK from

and which is the best and typical scale to use.

Thanks for any help

BUG

Views: 1501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i made my own fret scale ruler from a plastic one - just taped it to one of my pre-cut fretboards (25.5" scale) and made a nick in the edge of the ruler at each fret - used it for almost every build since, and perfectly accurate! (-:

Like your thinking....I just got peed off at them nearly being there but not quite...

After getting my Diglydog special, which is spot on ( and truley awsome), as far as I can work out, right to the very top...

I want to build something as good.. it will probably never happen, but need to improve my skills.

I can knock a quick one out... (excuse me !) and they sound ok, but fretting has been my bugbear!

I now have some great tips to try, so lets see what happens.... now I need to learn patience!!! :>( 

and to get over this damn flu!!

in true CBG HGMC spirit i use the "nerinuff" philosophy, created by the famous Russian philosopher and instrument builder Ivan Taras Stanislav Nerinuff (ITS Nerinuff)...or more commonly known in the west as "iteldoo"

(-;

Me 2 ....and thats being accurate for me!! :>)

But keep seeing things on here that make me feel like I should improve....

any old box will do.. or in my case any old thing at all!!!

and remember  to    use  the german   wrench  method    on  all     screws  and   bolts  ..    make   em  gudentite .  ;-)

Mate if you jump on eBay and buy one slotted fingerboard for $15 or whatever you can just use that. It'll be two and a bit inches wide so you could conceivably rip a half inch or so off one side and keep that for you ruler, and use the remainder for a three string gitt..
You can use any of the slots as the nut or zero position of your ruler, so it's many scale lengths in one..

That sounds like a good plan...

I'm usinbg mahogany as my fretboard is that a bad idea?... as the frets fall out!

are you meant to glue them in?

Its like my saw is just a touch to wide... yet its a proper dret saw with a depth guide ?

bug, a junior hacksaw with a 32 tpi blade is just right for frets to fit in, a tiny bit of glue will help keep them in when you file the edges down. (below) ...my, what big frets you have!  (-;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF1ylfC1G3Y

Ah yes bought them as use for nuts
Then use smaller ones
On neck
Or a great for a fretless just righht height!

But they is all I had hanging around
And yes they are BIG!!!
Big can be better so the wife says!

This is the jig I use for cutting the fret positions, Two bits of left over ceramic tile edging screwed onto a board.Clamp on the fingerboard and use your saw with the teeth rubbed with wax to ease the cutting

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Taffy Evans May 5. 6 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->